People Dem Collective x Margate Festival 2020 Activation
THEME: Margate NOW
This year People Dem Collective will bring a new flavour & spice to Margate Festival.
In light of the current social awakening of the world to work towards change, we have agreed to curate this year’s festival.
Our Margate NOW 2020 activation is for our people dem, our Black, Brown & Diaspora communities, creating an opportunity that will allow you to showcase your work, develop skills & network with familiarity & comfort not often experienced.
People Dem Collective encourage and support you at this important and historic moment to take up space, talk your talk, walk your walk and express yourself in the only way you know how.
DATES: Friday 25 September to Sunday 11 October 2020
Applications open: Friday 3 July 2020
Applications close: Friday 24 July 2020, midday
Notifications to artists: Wednesday 29 July 2020
LOCATIONS: Hidden and surprising spaces around Margate and online
ABOUT: People Dem Collective is a community group based in Margate. We facilitate systemic change, promote healing and continue the work of our ancestors.
The leadership team are from Black, Brown & Diaspora communities in Thanet. The collective was born out of a lived experience of lack of space, engagement and inclusion for these communities.
Margate NOW 2020 is a multi-disciplinary arts festival that this year aims to increase our digital cultural activity and to deliver real-world, socially distanced experiences. We are committed to artistic excellence and promise. The programming team is drawn from a wide range of curators and practitioners who have past experience of supporting exciting projects.
FUNDING has been secured from Arts Council England and Kent County Council to deliver a festival showcasing Margate’s artistic excellence and we welcome applications from all disciplines. There are funds to commission:-
- 5 projects of £500 each, 1 community project of £2000
- Other funded opportunities for specific work to be showcased
VALUES: The following values will be looked at when examining your proposal and decisions made based on these factors:-
- Projects with a participatory approach
- Projects that develop & build on links between different sectors of the community
- A built in consideration of social distancing measures
- Projects that propose new digital initiatives
- Accessibility for those with disabilities
- Equality and open access for those not represented in usual art forums
- Projects that propose a sharing of skills and/or learning experiences
- Use of hidden and surprising spaces
- Environmental responsibility built into the planning of the proposal
- Projects that actively consider the politics and theme of Margate NOW
People Dem Collective takes the equality of opportunity as a fundamental value of our organisation and is committed to creating diverse and inclusive events.
DEADLINE: All submissions must be received by 12 noon on Friday 24 July 2020
We will be in touch by Wednesday 29 July 2020.
Please find below the questions you will be asked in the form so you can prepare your answers.
- Phone Number
- Social Media Links
- Summary of your practice (maximum 1000 characters including spaces)
- Which fund are you applying for? (£500, £2000, £0)
- If already funded either in whole, or part, please give details.
- Project Title
- Summary of project (max 1000 characters including spaces)
- Is your project virtual or physical?
- If this is a digital/online initiative, what form will it take, please detail the platform(s) you intend to use
- If in real life, please give information about the location you would like to use and whether use has been agreed
- Demonstrate how you will include social engagement/encouraging others/community groups/building links across the community.
- If you plan to work with specific groups/businesses/institutions please give more information about this. Have you already approached them? What agreement has been reached? Have you gained permissions?
- Outline what measures you will take to make the project sustainable and environmentally responsible.
- How will you take measures to ensure social distancing?
- Accessibility: we expect artists to take accessibility into consideration within their proposal, please outline how you have done this.
- What does Margate NOW mean to you?
- If applying for the £2000 commission, please detail examples of previous projects that engage with community groups.
- Please upload 3 images to support your application.